Voices of Dance: Coming Full Circle


Ballet was my great young love. I loved the feeling of being part of something larger and more important. I loved the striving for perfection, the thrill of recognition. I trained as a ballet dancer from about ages 8 to 14. After I stopped training that whole part of my life became locked in a very private place. I felt cut off from this world where I had found so much joy. I tried to put it behind me and devote myself to other things, but the experience left me with some conflicted feelings about dance. Then, something happened this year. First, I published GIRL THROUGH GLASS, my novel based on memories of a ballet childhood. 

Spring Dance Concert
The Nutcracker

 Second, my daughter began performing in the dance concerts at her school. Watching her brings tears to my eyes—complex moments of pain, love, and healing. 

Now, to bring things full circle, on the school’s stage, in an event hosted by the school PTO and open the the whole community, I will have a chance to talk with her school’s dance teacher, an energetic and visionary woman with big ideas about dance education. We’ll be talking about childhoods in dance (she was a child performer too) and more broadly about how dance can inform an entire life. 

Comments

Popular Posts