On the sale of my novel to Harper Books


I sold my novel to Harper Books! It happened pretty recently and I'm still absorbing it. I’m working with a wonderful editor there on revisions, going deep into the world of the book—again. I'm working on two characters in particular and I'm thinking about: What makes a character rich and complex? What is the intersection of plot and character where a plot can have momentum but a character in that plot can remain mysterious and surprising? I think what I am searching for are the elements, the alchemy that can produce grace. Which which brings me back to the very beginning of this project--the thing that compelled me. What are the ways we seek grace in our lives? And, how can we deliver ourselves from the possibility of not receiving it? (Still figuring out what I mean by that last question!)

Comments

Interesting that you hit on "grace" as what happens when character and plot have the right balance. I've just finished writing a story called "The Face of Grace,"and I think I tried to use the word to combine the senses of gift, as in gift from God, with the idea of graceful and charming.Don't know if that can possibly work. I'm a friend of Amy Davis in Chicago and would be interested to read some of your work. Is there something online?
I am trying to leave my comment but it keeps saying "required field must not be left blank. What's the required field?
Muttering said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Muttering said…
Maggie, I am just seeing this comment from months ago. So sorry! I like what you said--yes, when "character and plot have the right balance." That's what I'm working toward...Oh, and I have some short stories online--you can link to them through my site.

Popular Posts