Notes for a Feminist Comic

Image ideas:
• Simone de Beauvoir sitting in an armchair with a long cigarette holder saying, "Women are oppressed by their biology";
• Sari, 19,1980s, putting on jacket w/shoulder pads and going off to summer job as a clerk in a law firm...;
• me, bags under eyes, saying to my homemaker mother (mother of 4 kids) "you didn't tell me how HARD it was"

Possible title: Snapshots from a New Mother's Life in Which Age-Old Feminist Conflicts are Acted Out

Overview: A patchwork quilt of the last year of my life in which I have had to confront some basic issues of feminism in a more bread-and-butter way than ever before (such as economic self-sufficiency, gender roles, and childbearing).

Script ideas:
Have baby.
Lose job.
Discover that baby needs lots of care.
Lose health insurance.
Start blog!
Baby wakes in middle of the night.
Journalism collapses!
Join coop. Shop for food.
Freelance for less than you were getting in-house. Can afford some daycare!
Publishing collapses!
Baby wakes in the middle of the night.
Shop for food.
Widespread layoffs!
Baby wakes in middle of night.
Baby wakes in middle of night.
Too tired to blog.
Against all reason, wish to have another baby.


Point is not to ridicule feminist thinkers but juxtapose theoretical pronouncements and mass messages women receive with the hard-knock realities of women's lives through the centuries.

Shine some (hopefully humorous) light on the gulf between theory and inevitable realities of life.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I can certainly relate to this, Sari, and I'd love to see the comic. I am constantly trying to balance between urging myself to greater professional efforts and acknowledging the realities of mothering, especially in these really early years. And the economics are brutal. They're my whipping boy.

Can you say more about the disconnect you see between feminist theory and family-raising reality? Is it a matter of "having it all" not being a realistic goal?
zoe zolbrod said…
I didn't mean to be annoymous. I'm Zoe! I left the last comment. (And I don't understand commenting boards)
Muttering said…
Thanks for yr comment, Zoe. As usual, thoughtful. I'm loathe to use the "not having it all" as a catch-all phrase. What does it mean, exactly? No one, certainly, can have everything. Feminist theory that I imbibed--as I recall one of my pieces for Maxine--has a lot to do with the biological imperative and pitting that against the intellectual life--idea being that they did not spring from the same source. There are branches of feminist theory that own the essential nature of woman as a biological creature but I resisted those. Now I wonder, again, whether I did myself a disservice.

Popular Posts